To make this a tad bit “healthier” I exchanged half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
I also add about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for more warmth. And a splash of vanilla extract into the oatmeal mixture.
Replaced the oil with unsweetened applesauce! Adds moisture without the extra fat 🙂
And here they are!
1 1/4 cup Oatmeal
1 1/4 cup milk (of choice)
1/2 Applesauce (feel free to use oil)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans (I used walnuts because I didn’t have pecans on hand, but any nut will do or can be omitted)
Splash of Vanilla Extract
1/2 and 1/8 cup All purpose flour
1/2 and 1/8 cup whole wheat flour (OR 1 cup and 1/4 of All Purpose Flour)
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Let the oats soak in the milk for 15 minutes.
- Add the applesauce, brown sugar, chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla extract to the oat mixture.
- In a larger bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Now incorporate the oatmeal mixture into the dry. Don’t overmix!
- Fill you muffin tins almost full but leave some space because they will rise.
- Let bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes and feast!
I would store these in the fridge because the sugar tends to glaze over if left outside.
These can be frozen and eaten on another date!